Planning a Legal Bora Bora Wedding
Until recently, Bora Bora weddings were non-tying ceremonies that allowed couples to celebrate their love – but now, American and Canadian nationals can enjoy a meaningful and legal wedding ceremony in one of the most beautiful places on Earth. There are a number of processes to go through which can take between 3-5 months in total so be sure to plan ahead!
To be eligible to get married in Bora Bora:
· Both spouses must be at least 18 years of age and of the opposite sex
· Neither spouse can be currently married
· Couples cannot be directly related
· The couple cannot be French nationals or residents of France
· A witness must be chosen by both the bride and groom (one each) that is at least 18 years of age
If you’re eligible for a Bora Bora wedding you’ll need the following documents:
· A completed ‘Marriage of Foreign Citizens in French Polynesia’ application
· A letter addressed to the mayor of the commune chosen for the marriage ceremony, signed and dated by both spouses
· A copy of both your passports for proof of identity
· A certified copy of both your birth certificates (which must have been issued at least 6 months before the ceremony). An ‘Apostille’ is also required and all these documents must be translated into French by an approved translator and legalised by the French Consulate
· A ‘Certificate of Non Marital Status’ signed by a lawyer, translated into French and legalised by the French Consulate
· Proof of residency for both future spouses such as a utility bill. Photocopies are accepted
· If a prenuptial agreement is in place, it must be translated into French and authenticated by the French Consulate
· These documents must be sent to the Mayor’s office in the commune in which your wedding will take place at least 45 days before the ceremony. The Mayor’s office will then contact the bride and groom to advise them of the approved date and time of the wedding
A Bora Bora wedding may sound complicated but SPM Hotels are here to remove any stress and help you plan your dream wedding! We have a selection of Bora Bora wedding packages available to suit all budgets, and our staff are on hand to make sure your wedding is as special and magical as you imagine it to be.
Book your Bora Bora wedding with SPM Hotels and turn your dream wedding into a reality.